Hate them or love them this is my spiced take on this seasonal vegetable. Crispy, salty and spicy these pakoras really do the trick.
Ingredients - Makes 10 pakoras:
· 10 uncooked sprouts
· 4-5 tbsp gram flour
· 1 tsp fine sea salt
· 1 tsp chilli powder (hot)
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 tsp asafoetida
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1 tsp ajwain seeds
· 750ml-1lt sunflower oil
1. Remove the outer leaves from the spouts, half and finely slice
2. Transfer to a large bowl and add all the spices and gram flour to the sprouts and mix well
3. Then add the water a little at a time to the bowl and mix to form a batter (tip: Use hands for this. The mixture should not be very wet, just enough so that when formed into a small ball shape the shredded sprouts hold together and do not fall apart. More gram flour maybe required if mixture becomes too wet)
4. Using your hands form small balls of the sprout mixture and drop gently into a deep fat fryer set at 180 centigrade or into a large wok/saucepan filled with enough oil to deep fry (tip: use instant read probe style thermometer to check oil is at the right temperature to fry)
5. Fry a few at a time and don’t overcrowd the pan as this will cause the temperature of the oil to drop, resulting in a pakora that is not crispy and a bit oily!
6. Remove pakoras when golden and place onto a baking tray lined with kitchen roll to drain excess oil.
7. Serve immediately!
This recipe can be doubled easily to make more. Please have a go and post your pakoras,