I make no apologies for this dessert. This super indulgent and super simple dessert was one of those wonderful things that sort of just happen. A bit of this and a bit of that and you know what, it tasted amazing. So here it is, give it a go while there is still a glut of hot cross buns about. I reckon once this Easter has passed brioche would make a handsome alternative.
My Easy Easter Dessert - for 2 people (you can easily scale up the recipe)
- 1 hot cross bun cut in half
- 1 tub of salted caramel ice cream (I used Haagen Dazs, but really any good ice cream will do)
- 1 Easter egg (any type, I used a KitKat one)
- 1 knob of butter
- dash of whole milk (use whatever milk you have, double cream would of course be better)
- handful of walnuts roughly chopped
- Place a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Break the Easter egg into the bowl and melt with the knob of butter. As the chocolate used for the egg isn't really made to be melted in such a way you will need to add milk/cream to create a sauce.
- Toast the hot cross buns, spoon on some ice cream, drizzle the chocolate sauce artistically and sprinkle on the nuts!
You can barely call this a recipe but it works! Warning the sugar high is quite something after you eat this!